Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘brass’

new earrings
As previously promised here are a couple of the new earrings I’ve made for my soon-to-be-open Etsy shop. I’ve also made a few necklaces, although I am going to rework a couple of them a bit. They need a little more oomph. Anyway, here are the earrings.

I made a pair of these for myself too. The beads are glass.
Red earrings from my November 1919 line.

These beads are Swarovski crystal.
Purple earrings from my November 1919 line.

in the lab, part 2
I bought some Krylon Workable Fixatif to try out on my Polyshrink components. I’m trying it out tonight for the first time, so we’ll see how it goes.

new goodies
I ordered some new stuff from Joggles and ArtChix – a mix of collage sheets, glitter glue, embellishments, and rubber stamps. I swear I am constantly buying arts and crafts supplies. I like to think of it as doing my part to shore up the economy and support small independently-owned businesses. There, I feel better now.

~eagerly awaiting my new treasures~

Read Full Post »

Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way. – Emma, by Jane Austen.

Sunday’s lunch was postponed because my niece Gwen was sick. And the jewelry I wanted to make for Julie – a necklace – is not working out so far. Last year I bought a whole bunch of antiqued brass charms, beads, and findings from Fire Mountain Gems. I was going to pair those with blue Czech fire-polished beads, attach all to handmade neckchains, and make necklaces for my sister and myself. So I bought some brass wire and spent all last week making jump rings and s-hooks for the neckchain. On Saturday I put one of the jump rings in a liver-of-sulfur solution as a test to see how it looked once it was tarnished…but it wouldn’t tarnish! The catalog I purchased the wire from does not say that the wire is non-tarnish. I can’t mix antiqued-brass charms with bright brass wire – it just won’t look right. As the Super Sleuths would say, I’m going to have to “think, think, think” and figure out something.

So I ended up making this pair of earrings for Julie instead. They’ll do for now.

Earrings for Julie, with antiqued brass findings and Czech fire-polished beads.

The antiqued brass finding I bought from Fire Mountain. I tried adding a bead to the center loop, but it was too long and made the earring look too crowded. I like the open, lacy look of the findings, and decided not to clutter it. I made the earwires from sterling silver 22-gauge hard wire which I tarnished with liver-of-sulfur (at least that worked!). I really was not too happy or enthusiastic when I first started making these earrings because they were not what I wanted to make originally, but I think they turned out nicely, and I wouldn’t mind working up a pair for myself.

In the beginning of March I took an online class at Artella on altered digital books. I was not particulary interested in making said books, but I had previously taken another Artella online class which I enjoyed very much. So I decided to take the digital book class, which ended up being a little too simplistic for me. It mostly dealt with what an altered digital book is, how to download them (Artella sells a bunch and I really need to get some!), how to download the digital ephmera packs, and how to stick stuff from the ephemera packs onto the books.

Marnie (instructor and owner of Artella) was going to have a second, more advanced class a couple weeks ago, but she was having problems with her pregnancy and had to postpone it. I had signed up for that class as well, so hopefully she will be able to reschedule it sometime later this year. In the meantime I decided to check out the entries from Artella’s altered digital book contest to see what exactly people did with them. All I can say is I have a whole new appreciation for this burgeoning art form. The entries that won first and second place, Butterfly Mania and Alice For Short respectively, are wonderful and so clever! I wish I could think of things like that.

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: